Traditional Italian risotto which highlights the warm, aromatic flavour of saffron. It is great on its own with salad or as an accompaniment to osso bucco, chicken, veal or pork.
- Pinch saffron threads
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 ½ cups Arborio Rice
- ½ cup vermouth or dry white wine (optional)
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 30g butter
- Place stock in a saucepan on the stove and bring to the boil. Carefully remove 3 tablespoons of the hot stock and place in a small bowl with saffron threads. Cover stock and reduce heat to low. Simmer until needed.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Do not brown. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in the wine and bring to the boil for 2 minutes. Add the saffron in stock and 1/3 cup of stock from the saucepan.
- Cook, stirring, until stock has absorbed. Add a further 1/3 cup at a time, each time waiting until the stock is absorbed, stirring frequently. Once liquid is absorbed and rice is tender and creamy, remove from heat. Stir in cheese and butter. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cheese to serve.
Enjoy reading this?
Join our newsletter today!Join Now