Aioli is a Spanish condiment which is traditionally made from garlic and olive oil.
This version includes an egg yolk which help it to emulsify and of course, some saffron for fantastic colour and flavour.
Saffron aioli goes really well with poached fish or use it as an accompaniment to fried entrees like cauliflower or corn fritters. It’s also very tasty smeared on some crusty bread. The garlic does pack a punch, so use less to begin with if you are unsure about it.
- Pinch saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 medium garlic clove – minced
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Place the saffron threads in a small dish with the tablespoon of hot water and leave to steep for 5 minutes.
- Put the garlic, lemon juice, salt and egg yolk in a small food processor and blitz for a few seconds until combined.
- Add saffron and water and blitz again.
- With the food processor still going, add the olive oil very slowly in a steady stream. As you are emptying the last of the oil the mixture will thicken to a mayonnaise like consistency. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice if required.
- Transfer to a covered container and store in the fridge where it will keep for a few days. Serve the aioli cold.
Enjoy reading this?
Join our newsletter today!Join Now